Questions and answers below are for students who are seeking to take MISonline courses found in our Master's in MIS and certificate programs.

General Admissions Topics

When is my application due?

The deadline for all students to apply to the MISonline and certificate programs are three weeks before the class begins.  Only completed applications will be reviewed and considered for admittance.  Click here to view the deadlines.

Do I need an undergraduate degree in Computer Science of MIS in order to receive acceptance into any of the for-credit MISonline programs?

No.  We accept students from a wide variety of academic and professional backgrounds.

Do I need to know an object oriented programming language to apply to the Master's program?

No, for admissions purposes you are not required to know how to program.  That said, some of our courses do require programming.  If you do not have programming experience/knowledge we highly recommend taking MIS 501:  Fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming class.

How long will it take to complete one MISonline course?

Each course is 8 weeks in length

Do you accept international students?

Yes. International students may purse the online program from their home country, however they would not be granted documents to enter the US and participate in an online program. 

I don't have a 3.0 GPA from my undergraduate degree. Is there a way for me to still be in the degree programs?

The 3.0 GPA is a University of Arizona requirement for all graduate programs. However, students could still start any of our online graduate programs by applying as a “non-degree seeking” student. Non-degree seeking students take either two or four classes first. If they achieve a 3.0 GPA or higher from those non-degree seeking classes, students can then apply to the the program as a “degree seeking” student. Any classes taken as a non-degree student transfer into the degree program. More here.

Fees Topics

How much does one course cost?

The amount charged for the online MIS program consists of tuition and UA Bursar fees. 

Click here for detailed information.

Can I use my Veterans Benefits to help pay for the MISonline programs?

Yes. The course work is an approved program for VA Benefits. Please contact Regina Dowell rdowell@email.arizona.edu (The University of Arizona, Office of the Registrar, Veterans’ Services Coordinator) to make sure you are all set up by the VA before your apply to the programs.

I am an employee of the UofA.  Can I use the "Qualified Reduction Tuition" (QTR) waiver?

Yes. For questions regarding QTR, please speak with UofA Human Resources (520-621-3360) regarding how QTR is applied and with your business manager.

Click here for additional information.

Score Reports Topics

Do I need to take the TOEFL?

The TOEFL is required only for international students. If you have a degree from an accredited US institution, that is awarded within two years of the term of enrollment, you do not have to take the TOEFL.

How old can my TOEFL score be?

The TOEFL score must be less than 2 years old at the time of starting to take your first class. For example, classes begin on August 24, 2010, and you took the TOEFL test on August 23, 2008, that score would be invalid and you would have to take the test again.

Preparing/Submitting an Application

How is my GPA calculated for application eligibility?

The admission GPA that we use to determine your eligibility may be calculated in one of the following ways:

  • Undergraduate GPA is calculated over the last 60 semester units or last 90 quarter hours of the US undergraduate degree. In this situation, only the highest grade of repeated courses is counted.
  • If the undergraduate degree was completed outside the US, grades are converted to the US grading system and the GPA is calculated using the last two years of course work.
  • If you have completed 12+ semester units or 16 quarter hours of graduate level coursework for graduate credit in the US, the Graduate College will ignore your undergraduate grades and use this GPA for admissions purposes. If you have completed a master's or doctorate degree in the US, the Graduate College will admit you based on this GPA. Grades that are excluded from the GPA calculation include: S, P, Audit, grades awarded for professional programs (i.e., law, medicine, etc.).

Does my application need to be complete in order to apply?

Yes. All parts of your online application, including receipt of your letters of recommendation, must be filled out by the deadline. You will be able to upload many of your required documents and postal mail the rest.

Application details for the Master's in MIS here.

Application details for the certificate programs here.

When is the earliest that I can apply for the program?

You can submit your application at any time during the year. We review the applications throughout the year, however only completed applications will be reviewed.

Where do I send my sealed transcripts?

Send them to the following address:

Department of MIS, Online Admission
The University of Arizona
McClelland Hall 430
P.O. Box 210108
Tucson, AZ 85721-0108
Phone: (520) 621-2748

Is my application complete? Have all my supporting materials been received?

As a rule, the MIS department does not provide its applicants with notices of application completeness. We suggest that you double-check any packages that you send to us (to ensure that they are complete), and obtain a delivery confirmation receipt directly from the mail service.

Preparing for Your First Course

These FAQ's are designed to help answer your questions AFTER you have been accepted and admitted into the program.

How do I get my Student ID and PIN?

Student ID's (SID) and PIN's are issued by the University of Arizona Graduate College upon admission into the college. If you have been admitted into the Graduate College and have not received your SID and PIN, contact the Graduate College. These are permanently assigned numbers. They do not change from semester to semester. Please store them in a safe place – you'll need them to access various student services.

I need a UANetID and email account.  How do I get them?

Your UA NetID (with password) is your personal identification for using UA online resources. A UA NetID is required of everyone associated with the University of Arizona who plans on using online central administrative programs and computing services. Your computing services include interfaces used to access:

  • Email and UITS Computing Accounts (email.arizona.edu, u.arizona.edu (U-System), etc.)
  • Web applications (UAccess Student, Form Link, etc.)
  • University site-licensed software, etc.

You will need your student ID and student pin number to create your UA NetID.

To create a UA NetID go to http://netid.arizona.edu and click on "Create UA NetID" Follow the steps to setup your UA NetID. This will create a username and password for you. Additional information about NetID can be found at http://uits.arizona.edu/faq/netid-and-passwords

CatMail - Student Email
Students at the University of Arizona are automatically given a CatMail email account when creating their NetID: “netid @ email.arizona.edu.” (If you prefer, you can also send and receive email using netid @ catmail.arizona.edu. It will access the same account.) This email address is the official means of communication between the University and students. CatMail service is outsourced to Google Apps Education Edition, which also provides Google applications such as calendaring; IM and video chat; collaborative word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, website building; and more. Additional information on CatMail may be found at http://uits.arizona.edu/services/catmail-student-email.

If you have technical problems with the above call the 24/7 IT Support Center at (520) 626-TECH (8324) or fill out a form at http://uits.arizona.edu/departments/the247

What is UAccess?

UAccess is a password-protected service that allows students to access personal and academic information and transact university business via the Web. A UA NetID and password are required for login. It may be accessed at http://uaccess.arizona.edu/

After I am accepted and admitted into the Graduate College, how do I register for my first MISonline course?

Please refer to the Registering for Your Next Class page for directions on how to enroll.

Course Information

Are the MISonline programs accredited?

Yes, our programs and courses are accredited by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).

Do I have to take the courses in order?

No. Please refer to the calendar page to view course offerings and dates.

What is the average time per week I will need to dedicate to the MISonline course?

The average is 10-20 hours of time per week.  However your technical skill level could influence the amount of time you may need to spend on some classes.

Do I need to complete my assignments on a weekly basis or are they self-paced?

Students will complete their assignments on a weekly basis. The course syllabus will define what assignments are due per week. Students will get access to the syllabus after they have successfully registered.

How are the courses structured?

Most of the courses will generally be delivered using a combination of voiced-over material supplemented by online labs, assignments, projects, reading materials, quizzes, and exams. Click here for details.

Are the classes asynchronous or synchronous?

The courses are asynchronous. Students will receive weekly assignments at the beginning of each week and must complete the assignments by a designated time frame – usually one week.

What are the suggested computer requirements for these courses?

MISonline suggested computer requirements may be found here.

Mac users should have Parallel or equivalent solution for allowing Windows OS to run on a Mac.

What books do I need to purchase for the course?

Please refer to the course description page to see which courses require books and which do not.

Do the courses follow a traditional University semester?

Yes and no. Each MISonline course is 8 weeks in length which we call a “mini-semester.” The traditional University semester is 16 weeks in length. We have scheduled two mini-semester courses to fit within one traditional University semester, thus students can take two mini-semester courses within one traditional University semester if they like.

What is the number of credits required for graduation?

The Master’s of MIS degree program requires 30 credits for graduation which is ten courses. View the required courses here.

“Graduation” is not necessarily a correct term for the certificate programs as they are only three courses or 9 credits.

Why is my status listed in UAccess as "Discontinued as of xyz date?"

Students must take one course in every traditional University semester to be considered “active” in the program. If you did not maintain consecutive enrollment in the program you were “discontinued.” Simply fill out a “Leave of Absence” form and send it back to us to be active again.  Through My Grad College, link this up under forms, there is a LOA (Leave of Absence form). Fill that out and send signed copy back to us.

How Do I...

Receive my homework, course assignments, tests and exams?

MISonline instructors use D2L (Desire to Learn) as their means of delivering the course material to you.

D2L is the Eller College of Management's electronic course management system. D2L enables instructors to provide students with a course syllabus, instructor information, course materials, discussion boards, online assessments and more. 

Login to D2L here.

Get my final grades?

The University of Arizona no longer mails grade reports. The final grades are posted by the Office of Curriculum and Registration in UAccess. To get your final grades:

  1. Go to the UAccess (https://www.uaccess.arizona.edu/)
  2. Click on "UAccess Student Center"
  3. Log in using your NetID and password to get access to your student records.
  4. Within My Academics, click on "Grades" in the dropdown.
  5. The choose the semester you’re interested in. Click on “View.”

Print a grade report?

The University of Arizona no longer mails grade reports. The final grades are posted by the Office of Curriculum and Registration in UAccess. To get your final grades:

  1. Go to the UAccess (https://www.uaccess.arizona.edu/)
  2. Click on "UAccess Student Center"
  3. Log in using your NetID and password to get access to your student records.
  4. Within My Academics, click on "Grades" in the dropdown.
  5. The choose the semester you’re interested in. Click on “View.”

Get my name and Student ID to show up on the report?

A report can be printed for various uses such as submitting to employers for tuition reimbursement. When printing for official use, make sure the display option is turned on showing your name and student ID.

To activate the display option to print out a copy with your name and SID on it:

  1. If the Print View is open, click on “Close.”
  2. On the lower navy blue navigation bar, click on "Preferences"
  3. Click on "Display Settings."
  4. In the box "Show Display Name" check the box (“Click this box to display the student name and SID on all PrintViews.”).
  5. Click "Update."
  6. A message will say “Successfully updated user preference.”
  7. Click on “Academic.”
  8. Click on “Grades.”
  9. Use the drop-down menu to get to the semester you’re interested in. Click on “View.”
  10. On the upper navigation bar, click on “Print View.”
  11. Click on “Print.”
  12. Close the Print View window after you’ve printed the report.


For additional information, please contact us.